Music Theory Course for Adults
The music theory for adults is a course for anyone seeking to improve their understanding of music theory and music notation. The course progresses from the basic elementary level concepts such as note values and pitches through to scales, intervals, simple time signatures and basic transpostion. The course covers all subjects outlined in the AMEB syllabus of grade 1 music theory as well as covering the concepts of the circle of 5ths and the diatonic chord system. There will also be practical examples and exercises given in through out the course.
Music Theory Basics
Course Commences: Wednesday 20th June, 2018
Time: 8.00 - 9.00pm
Duration: 1 hour
Number of sessions: 10
Number of seats available: 6
COURSE OVERVIEWBack to top
- Notes, the staff, treble and bass clefs
- Bars and bar lines, note duration
- Note grouping and dotted notes
- Tones and semitones
- Major scales, Minor scales, Intervals and Octaves
- Key signatures and time signatures
- Semibreves, minims, crotchets, quarvers, rests
- Scales and keys
- Sharps, flats, naturals and accidentals
- Ties and slurs
- Simple and compound time, triplets
- Binary and ternary form
- Signs and terms
- Rhythm and rhythm clapping and Aural Theory
WHAT TO BRINGBack to top
Students will need to purchase a copy of Master Your Theory Grade 1 by Dulcie Holland, copies are available from Katzmusic for $17. You will also need to bring a pencil and eraser.
LOCATIONBack to top
Courses are conducted at:
KATZMUSIC Studio, 464a Glenhuntly Rd, Elsternwick.
KATZMUSIC can be accessed by the 216, 219 and 220 bus, the No.67 tram and the Sandringham train line.